Yesterday, my Late 2008 Macbook Pro, Fujibayashi Kyou was on its last legs after I went to lunch. Unfortunately, the nVidia Geforce 9600m GT I was using started to malfunction with the system freezing and part of the screen flashing while most of it remained black. When I placed the HD that came with the system, it froze at startup. I brought it to the Apple Store at Willowbrook and they offered me a replacement since I have three major repairs (excluding the wireless card). Now I got a current model Macbook Pro that has a:
- Intel Core i5 520m Processor at 2.4Ghz. TurboBoost up to 2.99 GHz with 3MB L3 Cache.
- 4GB DDR3 RAM at 1066 MHz
- 320 GB Seagate 5400 RPM HD. This is taken out and replaced with the already used WD 500 GB Scorpio Blue 5400 RPM HD.
- nVidia Geforce GT 330m with 256 MB GDDR3 RAM with on demand switchable Intel HD Graphics.
- SD Card Slot
- Sealed Battery that supposed to last 9 hours.
Overall, the system is more responsive than the old system considering that my old one has a Core 2 Duo Processor and 2GB of DDR3 RAM.
When I boot to the Mac OS X partition, it worked without messing with anything. With Windows 7, I didn’t have to reinstall, but I had to reinstall the BootCamp and nVidia Drivers. This is what I got for the Windows Experience Index.
Hopefully this computer will give me less problems than the last one… and I did not name this one a tsundere since I know how that turned out. Instead, I named it Nanoha Takamachi from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha… Loli magical girls are cuter. :p
Lastly, this computer came with a drop-in disc for iLife 11… Sweet!
I hardly had any issues with my Apple products since my Late 2006 Macbook Pro (Tohno Minagi) is still holding up along with my iPhone and my iPad. However, my Late 2008 Macbook Pro named Fujibayashi Kyou is being a bit tsun tsun lately. I had these issues after I brought the laptop two years ago:
- Screen defect (bright dot). Was replaced with another screen
- Wireless card issues (Wireless networks frequently dropped), replaced by another Airport Card. Still happening
- Dust under screen, more wifi problems. Screen and wireless card replaced yet again. Wireless issues went away.
Did not cost me anything since I have extended warranty.
After I got my screen and wireless card replaced, now the whole screen blinks for a second with the integrated graphics mode. This would happen sporadically and it could become very annoying. Also, it was something that never happened to me before. Yet again, I brought the computer back for more repairs for those issues including the weak hinge. Now Apple is going to replace the logic board, screen and wireless card to see if that fix the problem. If I get it back and it still have the same issues or the problems get even worse, I am going to demand a replacement… and next time, I will not name it after a tsundere since you know what happens… Hell breaks loose.