Getting fansubs on a iPhone or iPad can be a difficult process that requires a person to unmux and then reencode to a compatible format so it can be used on mobile devices. Since iOS do not have mplayer and the VLC app on iOS is unsuitable for fansubs, it could be frustrating. However, there is a program called Handbrake, which can hardcode the subs while maintaining the chapters the MKV has. Since the program can be used on any platform, everyone can use it.
- A nightly build of Handbrake, which can be obtained here
- Fansub to convert
- Open Handbrake and choose your fansub.
- Select the preset for your device.
- Go to the Subtitles page and then select the “English – (Text) (SSA)”
- Uncheck “Forced Only” and check “Burned In”
- Click Start and it should start encoding. After it’s done, transfer to your device and enjoy.
- While the custom typeface works, the SSA effects don’t. This includes shadows and text effects.
- Encoding can take a while, unless you have a fast CPU